1. What does your Livejournal name mean?
I went with something transparent because no point in pretending not to be me, so, first name and initial of surname. Also, lack of imagination.
2. Elaborate on your default photo?
In my fantasy life, I am fabulously beautiful and a Pre-Raphaelite goddess, rather than looking like a potato, albeit a cute one. Also, I used to have curly red hair, so it was closer than it is now. These days, not Rossetti, more George Grosz, but wotthehell.
3. Make up a question.
Where does time go?
4. What's your current relationship status?
Two decade relationship with woman lover.
5. What EXACTLY are you wearing right now?
Xena t-shirt, over which promotional sweatshirt from forgotten horror novel ('The Sidhe') which says Raw Evil and will be worn until rags because it is what I write in. Blue trousers. Grey slippers.
6. What is your current problem?
Mysterious aches, vague depression, addiction to Civilization, having books to write and going slow.
7. Who do you love most?
I love several people a lot and make a point of not ranking them. And if you know where the distinction between friendlove, sexlove and brainlove lies, let me say that I don't. Some people fall clearly into the first category and no other; most don't.
8. What makes you most happy?
Music, especially when it reaches a climax and comes together, whether that be Bach or Cyndi Lauper. (She is singing Pirate Jenny in NY right now - I long for the cast album.)
9. Are you musically inclined?
No talent at all, except for listening. Well-stocked musical memory, though, and the sort of annoying musical trainspotter composers put quotations from other works in for.
10. If you could go back in time, and change something, what would you change?
By the time I was finished, the timeline would be Swiss cheese. Main ones, antibiotics for Mozart and Schubert and Berg, and encourage someone to stop Eleanor Marx killing herself. Personal stuff? A long lecture to younger self about debt and its consequences, and about not pursuing beautiful shiny people whatever the cards say.
11. If you MUST be an animal for ONE day, what would you be?
A Siberian tiger in a large safe zoo with lots of food.
12. Ever have a near death experience?
I haven't had an NDE in the sense of going down the tunnel of light. I have, however, nearly died several times.
13. Name an obvious quality you have.
I listen to other people almost as much as I make them listen to me.
14. What's the name of the song that's stuck in your head right now?
Easy to Love. Sisters of Avalon.
15. Who did you cut and paste this from?
Debs, like I said.
16. Name someone with the same birthday as you.
My friend Keith
17. Have you ever vandalized someone's private property?
18. Have you ever been in a fight?
Never willingly, but in self defense or stopping large men beating small women friends, yes. I tend to fight with a minimum of violence, a privilege of being the size of a house and able to wrap my arms round people and take blows on fat.
19. Have you ever sung in front of a large audience?
Strictly speaking, I don't sing, because I can't. I've been part of a large crowd at Wiscon tricked by Ellen and Delia into singing in unison.
On the other hand, I have addressed large public meetings and read my work to a packed theatre.
20. What is the first thing you notice about the opposite/same sex?
A mixture of their faces and how they smell.
21. What do you usually order from Starbucks?
Capoucino Vento or Double Expresso Machiato
24. Has anyone ever said you looked like a celebrity?
No - celebrities would sue
25. Do you still watch kiddy movies or TV shows?
Rugrats and other stuff from the same studio.
26. Did you have braces?
Not in the same sense as US readers, but yes, sort of.
27. Are you comfortable with your height?
On the whole - I would not mind being about three inches shorter.
28. What is the most romantic thing someone has ever done for you?
My current partner - coming for dinner in the early part of the acquaintance and saying 'Is there somewhere I can put my bike...overnight?'
Beautiful shiny one - At a point when she had been forbidden to see me or speak to me by her current lover, walking past me in a nightclub and trailing her hand across my shoulders and down my back. Later, dancing her socks off with me to the Communards 'Don't leave me this way' in order to taunt said lover, now an ex. Romantic can also be very very cruel, and she was both.
29. Do you speak any other languages?
I speak French with the most atrocious accent in the world - I'd say British accent, but actually French people often assume I am Swedish - and I get by in Italy with an odd mixture of opera libretto quotations, hand gestures and Latin. I read German a little bit , but have never tried to speak it. I could probably make myself understood in classical Latin if time-warped - I once used it to talk to a Rumanian scholar who was having trouble with his change at the Leeds City Varieties.
30. Do you have a crush on someone on your livejournal?
Not so much sexually as wanting to spend endless more time with them - several. You know who you are and others don't need to.