Trans at Pride and the ad hoc group Stop Transphobia At Pride accept the official apology of London Pride to Roz Kaveney and the broader Trans Community subject to the following provisos:
1. that there be some real movement to accept the suggestions we have made for greater inclusivity and diversity awareness on the Pride board, and that real institutional change follow from this.
2. that there be proposals to deal with the weakness that the incident demonstrated not in Pride's transinclusivity alone, but also to its insitutional skills in crisis management.
3. that Pride's response to the failings of both FSM security and Capita's health and safety people in this matter be made transparent.
4. that FSM and Capita apologize for the incident and indicate preparedness to make institutional change to ensure this never happen again.
5. that Pride, FSM and Capita clarify the earlier incident from which the segregation of the toilets derived. If, as alleged, a transwoman was assaulted by a male in the women's toilets, what happened to her? Was she taken care of and encouraged to make complaints? Why did no one connected with that incident try to contact the Trans Community stall thirty yards away to help us take care of her?
Meanwhile, Westminster Police have issued a press release - gay press story here
. We dispute some of the facts in the statement and will make further representations in due course. We are being advised by GALOP on this. We encourage people in London to attend the public meeting on 29th.
I hope I don't have to talk about Toiletgate any more this weekend. Tomorrow is the South Bank events and on Sunday I plan to go see movies.