Two things which are alike
Firstly a celebration of something that happened forty years ago:
STONEWALL RIOTS (28th June to 1st July 1969)
MARCH and CABARET
The 'Stonewall Riots' in New York from are remembered as the start of the global LGBTQ rights movement. This year is the 40th Anniversary.
That's 40 years of gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans and queer people fighting for our rights in the streets, in the courts, in the workplace, in communities around the world!
Be part of this story yourself! Join us for London's ONLY celebration of this key moment in our community's story, on Sunday 28 June 2009.
Stage 1: March from the London School of Economics, via Soho Square, to Central Station in Kings Cross.
Stage 2: Enjoy a FREE cabaret and consciousness-raising event.
Stonewall Inn, New York
…where it all started 40 years ago Central Station, London
…where we will be celebrating the
March from London School of Economics,
via Soho Square, to Central Station
Sunday 28 June 2009 (1pm to 3pm)
Estimated journey time: 1 hour 30 minutes plus 30 minutes in Soho Square.
1. Gather at the London School of Economics and Political Science at 1pm
2. Leave via Houghton Street at 1.30pm prompt
3. Turn right onto Aldwych A4
4. Turn right onto Drury Lane
5. Turn left onto High Holborn A40
6. Bear right onto Saint Giles High Street A40
7. Bear right towards New Oxford Street
8. Turn left onto New Oxford Street and walk a few yards to cross roads with Tottenham Court Road Tube on it
9. Go straight over traffic lights onto Oxford Street
10. Turn left onto Soho Street
11. Arrive at Soho Square, W1D 4
12. Walk completely around Soho Square. Take a seat in Soho Square, enjoy the sunshine, listen to the birds, have a chat about life, the universe and everything. A small group of (quick) marchers will split off to distribute leaflets on Old Compton Street. When they get back, we can move off again…
13. Go back down Soho Street to Oxford Street
14. Turn right onto Oxford Street
15. Turn left onto Tottenham Court Road A400. Walk up Tottenham Court Road (pass Goodge Street tube and Warren Street tube).
16. Turn right onto Euston Road. Walk along Euston Road (pass Euston Station, Fire Station, British Library, St Pancras Station, Kings Cross Station)
17. Continue onto Pentonville Road A501
18. Turn left onto Northdown Street
19. Turn left onto Wharfdale Road (A5200)
20. Arrive at Central Station on corner of Wharfdale Road and Balfe Street.
Cabaret and Consciousness-Raising Event
Central Station, Sunday 28 June 2009 (3pm to 8pm)
You are invited to a FREE cabaret and consciousness-raising event to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the Stonewall Riots on Sunday 28 June, from 3pm to 8pm, at Central Station, 37 Wharfdale Road, London.http://www.centralstation.co.uk/directions.html
We have a fabulous line-up of performers, singers, dancers, poets, rappers and speakers...and we have the wonderful, witty, willing and beautiful Bird La Bird compering throughout this his/herstoric event!
AND IT IS ALL FOR FREE!
And then , tragic news which is potentially triggering
I am sad and angry and so aware that I made it to 60 but might not have done.Later
I've been looking this morning for some sort of further confirmation on this and haven't yet found any. azalea
has raised some important questions and she is not the only person who is worried about the truth or falsehood issue on this.
I'm still inclined to believe it, but I have less experience of faked internet deaths than some people.